Animal Cruelty

Prevent and Report Animal Cruelty

Please, always be aware of the possibility that an animal may be suffering abuse and neglect. When you see abuse or neglect act on your concerns responsibly and contactthe following to report your concerns:

  • Pocatello Police Department (208.234.6100)
  • Pocatello Animal Services Department (208.234.6156)
  • Bannock County Sheriff’s Office (208.236.7000)

Please use these criteria when deciding who to call:

  • Animals within Pocatello city limits. (Pocatello Police Department)
  • Animals NOT within Pocatello, but in Bannock County. (Bannock County Sherriff Office)
  • Animal must be a stray dog. (No Cats)
  • If animal is stray, abused or injured. Any Animal: Dogs, Cats, Horses, Goats Etc.
  • Information on lost or missing animalsm or animal adoptions. (Pocatello Animal Services)

Dogs and Cats Signs of Neglect & Abuse

Signs of neglect or abuse of dogs and cats:

  • Lack of adequate shelter from the weather
  • Animal does not get fed every day
  • Animal does not have clean water
  •  Collar has not been loosened as the animal has grown
  • Animal has mange which causes pets to suffer from horrendous itching resulting in loss of hair, and possibly sores caused by scratching and biting by the pet to relieve the incessant irritation.
  • Animal is not groomed and has matted fur
  • Animal appears to be starving, either from improper food, untreated disease and/or parasites.

Horses Signs of Neglect & Abuse

Signs of neglect or abuse of horses includes:

  • Protruding hip bones and ribs
  • Poor hair coat
  • Hooves that are too long, curling up, split, or cracked
  • Dull eyes
  • Don’t have access to clean fresh water
  • Are not fed daily
  • Hay is dirty, moldy, or wet
  • Standing in deep mud with no access to well drained ground
  • Dangerous fencing, such as loose barb wire or fencing that has dangerous protrusions such as pipe
  • Excess and dangerous debris in pasture, such as farm equipment.

Who to Call if you Suspect Neglect and / or Abuse

If the animal you are concerned about is within Pocatello City limits, notify the Pocatello Police Department at 208.234.6100. An officer can investigate and take action as needed.

If the animal you are concerned about is out of the city limits, but within Bannock County, notify the Sheriff’s office at 208.236.7111.

Lost or Missing Animals

Assistance for locating / reporting Lost or Missing Animals can be found at Pocatello Animal Services.

If you have found a missing animal:


The key to preventing neglect is education.  Many owners aren’t aware of how important affection is to a animal or even that a puppy will outgrow her collar.

Some horse owners need to be informed that horses need regular dental and hoof care, as well as regular worming and annual vaccinations.

You can help prevent cruel acts by informing others about what to do if they see such an act or help them to better understand how to train and care for their animals.

And always spay or neuter your pets, and encourage others to do so as well.