About the BHS
The Bannock Humane Society Story
The Bannock Humane Society is a non-profit organization funded by private donations plus fund raising by its members. There are no paid employees and all funds go to help the animals.
The BHS receives no money from any Government agency and is not a part of the Pocatello Animal Shelter. The BHS does work closely with the shelter on many projects to benefit the animals.
The BHS constructed its home at 850 Barton Road in 2001 with donations from the community, help from its members, and assistance by the City of Pocatello (50 year property lease). The mailing address is P.O. Box 332, Pocatello, ID 83204. The BHS maintains a phone line at 208.232.0371 for the following:
Mailbox 1: Foster information (Foster animals available for adoption or information on finding an animal a new home)
Mailbox 2: Requests for medical assistance (for sick or injured animals)
Mailbox 3: Other information (Lost or found animals, general information, information about spay & neuter programs)
The Bannock Humane Society, in cooperation with local Pocatello veterinarians, coordinates volunteer time and donated funds to provide foster and healthy animal programs to the public. These programs promote spay/neuter for all companion animals.
Healthy Animal Program animals and Foster animals receive medical treatment as follows:
- Spay or neuter surgery at local Pocatello vet clinics
- Dogs – 1st year Rabies and Distemper/Parvovirus vaccines
- Cats – 1st year Rabies and Distemper/Upper Respiratory vaccine
Current programs are:
- Adoption of animals in our foster care program. Fees cover the medical services shown above.
- The public may go through the BHS Healthy Animal Program with their companion animals and receive the medical services shown above.
- Pets for the Elderly allows anyone 60 years or older to adopt a foster animal or go through the Healthy Animal Program at a reduced price. BHS is reimbursed from the Pets for the Elderly Foundation for the balance of the adoption fee.
The right program for your needs can be started Wednesday evenings between 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. at the Bannock Humane Society building. For Pets for the Elderly, you must bring your animal so we can get a picture or your paperwork can’t be completed. We are now asking for people to bring their animal in when they sign up for the program.
If you have questions? Call 208.232.0371 and leave a message we’ll return your call.
Monthly Adoption Day
We hold adoption days the 2nd Saturday of the month (see our Events page) in our building from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. Pets are brought to Adoption Day so you can meet the dogs and cats that are looking for a loving new home. You will have a chance to talk with the foster parents to find out more about the pets. We also have information available on animal issues, and volunteers who can help with general animal behavior questions.
Low Cost Spay / Neuter Programs
BHS runs spay/neuter programs to help get as many animals fixed as possible. Contact BHS at 208.232.0371 for information on current programs.
The Bannock Humane Society is a 501C3 Idaho Corporation, and was incorporated on July 12, 1971.